Matthew Smith's blog
Basically I've been at work the past couple of months since implementing the file upload feature. My intention was to write my own Base64 conversion routine, which would have been better for large files, so it could keep a progress bar updated and avoid hanging the user interface while converting, as Qt's own conversion method does. That turned out to be more complex than I thought it would be.
However, last week that job ended, so now I'm free to work on QTM once again. This morning I've been working on improving the auto link feature, so that it saves titles and targets for the links as well as the locations. I should be able to get that out in the next couple of days, I hope. I think I will release version 0.5.4 with the upload feature "as is", and sort out the GUI blocking problem for the next release.Read more »
I have released a second beta of version 0.5.4 of QTM. This contains one new feature: auto links, which mean that you can set an URL to which you can automatically link set words or phrases in the text (by pressing a key combination - not just by typing the phrase). Source and a Fedora 7 binary are available in the SourceForge repository as always (not at KDE Apps since that is still the stable 0.5.3 release). You may find the links in the Downloads box to the right.
In response to a feature request from Günter on the Qt Apps page, I've released a beta of version 0.5.4 of QTM, which contains a file upload feature. This became a beta rather than a final release because file upload can be implemented in a "quick and dirty" fashion, which makes the application hang while it converts a large file into base 64, or it can be implemented properly, which means writing, or at least adapting, one's own base 64 converter. Since I wanted to do it quickly, I chose the former option.Read more »
I've just released the sources for version 0.5.3 of QTM (binaries should follow). The biggest change this time round is the removal of the basic Blogger posting functions which were introduced in the beta to version 0.3.10. This happened after someone asked on the KDE Apps QTM page about posting to Blogger, and on investigation it turned out that Blogger simply no longer supports the old Blogger API. It has moved on to its own GData system, which I may support in the future but right now I'm concentrating on XML-RPC as used by Wordpress, Movable Type and pretty much every other content management system under the sun. So, QTM is no longer Blogger compatible.
Also, I have added the ability to paste text in various formats, including as blockquotes, as lists and as Markdown blockquotes, and to specify whether or not a time should be sent at posting time, so as to avoid the problem of the wrong times being displayed on some CMS's including Wordpress and Textpattern.Read more »
In response to a matter which came up on the KDE Apps page, Blogger no longer supports the old Blogger API, which means that QTM can no longer access your blog if it is based on Blogger. They have since issued a new "GData API", which does not use XML-RPC, which means that support for Blogger is a while off yet. QTM can still be used to access blogs based on Movable Type, Wordpress, Drupal and other content management systems which continue to support XML-RPC.
Finally, after several false starts, version 0.5.2 has been released. The biggest new feature here is Drupal compatibility.
Of course, the documentation always said that QTM supported Drupal. However, that was just assumed, because Drupal uses the same APIs (XML-RPC) as Movable Type and Wordpress. However, it uses them in different ways, for example, using the capability of hosting different blogs under one account to handle its own different content types: pages, stories, blog entries and so on. It also used strings to identify things for which MT uses numbers. So, I was posting a word as an "int", which obviously caused errors. And so on.Read more »
Yesterday I discovered that QTM had been featured on the Linux Format cover disc (edition 93, along with Startcom Enterprise Linux), one of three internet applications alongside Nvu (the Mozilla-based HTML editor) and the IRC client XChat. The version included was 0.5, the first to feature Quickpost templates, but not the latest version. I'm not sure if it was my email to them which prompted that or if they are just tracking this project; they included an earlier version way back in 2006.Read more »
I have just put out a new bug-fix release, version 0.5.1.1.Read more »
I've just released version 0.5.1 of QTM. There are a few new features this time round, and some user interface improvements:Read more »
- User interface: the system-tray icon no longer displays on the Mac. Instead, the same menu is displayed by double-clicking on the dock icon. A bare-bones default main menu, with New, Open and Quit functions (the latter displayed in the dock and application menus), appears when there is no top-level window present on the Mac (only on Qt 4.2; this may change in future releases).
- User interface: the Abort Quick Post action in the STI menu appears (albeit greyed out) even when it is disabled; this is to get round a bug in Qt on the Mac
I have put out a minor bug-fix version of QTM. Version 0.5.0.1 fixes two issues:Read more »
- I have stopped using the macro QT_NO_DEBUG_OUTPUT, which suppresses console output from Qt's qDebug command; I had been using it to suppress my own debug output also. This was preventing compiling on Debian Etch, which uses Qt 4.2.1 which fails to compile with this define; this was a Qt bug which was fixed in Qt 4.2.2. This bug has been reported to Debian.
- I have added a duplicate of the file CatkinMainWindow.ui, called CatkinMainWindow41.ui, which removes 4.2-specific lines (which, in any case, only count on the Mac). This means that the same source bundle can be used on systems which still have Qt 4.1, such as SUSE Linux v10.1 and Ubuntu Dapper.